Change the COM port for a USB Serial device
The instructions below are for Windows 7. Slight variations may be possible in other versions of Windows.
- Inside Windows Explorer, right-click on COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
- Select Device Manager in the new window.
- Expand Ports.
- The available port should be visible and indicating which port is in use.
- Most Utility software packages expect the port to be between 1 and 10.
- Right click on the device and click on Properties.
- Click on Port Settings Tab.
- Click on Advanced.
- Change the COM Port Number to the lowest possible number (between 1 and 10).
- Then Click OK to enable the changes
- Adjust your Utility software to use the new selected com port.